broiled or grilled salmon with couscous tabbouleh
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes
ready in: 35 minutes
makes: 4 servings, 8 oz. each
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry couscous
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 Tablespoons chopped mint leaves
- 1 Tablespoon canola or olive oil
- 1 lemon for juice and zest
- 1 lb. salmon fillets
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Ground black pepper
- Bring water to a boil on stovetop or microwave. Add dry couscous and cover. Let stand for 3 to 5 minutes until all of the water has evaporated and the couscous is tender. Fluff with a fork. Place in refrigerator to cool.
- When couscous is completely chilled, add scallions, parsley, mint, olive oil and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Mix well. Tabbouleh may be prepared a day ahead and refrigerated.
- To broil: Preheat broiler. Place salmon fillets, skin side down, on lightly oiled broiling pan. Rub top surface of fillets with crushed garlic and 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest. Season with pepper to taste. Broil 6 inches away from heat source for 12–14 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 145°F.
- To grill: Place salmon fillets, skin side up, on preheated grill. Cook 12–14 minutes, turning once, until temperature reaches 145°F. During last few minutes of cooking, top with crushed garlic, 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest. Season with pepper to taste.
- Serve salmon with the tabbouleh on the side. Add a side salad to complete the meal.
Per Serving: 270 calories, 11g fat, 2g saturated fat, 70mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 26g protein
The nutritional content of recipes is calculated by a registered dietitian. Because ingredients and measurements may vary, the values we give are close approximations.