July 02, 2012
Giant Food of Landover, MD
All Neighborhood Giant Food Locations Are Open Following Major Mid-Atlantic Storms
Landover, Md. (July 02, 2012) - Following Friday night's destructive storms across the Mid-Atlantic region, Giant Food of Landover, Md. is announcing that as of Monday, July 2, all 173 neighborhood stores are open and will operate during each store's normal business hours moving forward. Giant transportation teams are busy making deliveries across Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, and Washington, D.C. to stock shelves and serve customers.
"More than 70 of our stores were without power as a result of Friday's violent storms, however, all 173 of our stores remained open and serving customers, operating on generator power. Members of Giant’s team have been working around the clock from our command center providing solutions to best serve our customers and our communities," said Anthony Hucker, president, Giant Food of Landover, Md. "For more than 75 years, our customers have come to rely on Giant to provide the highest levels of quality, value, and service, regardless of ways we're impacted by Mother Nature."
In addition, Giant is sharing important food safety tips with consumers:
- Never taste food nor rely on odor or appearance to determine its safety.
- Discard refrigerated perishable food including meat, poultry, fish, soft cheeses, milk, eggs, leftovers, and deli items after four hours without power.
- If opened mayonnaise, tartar sauce, horseradish, and other spreads have been held at or above 50°F for more than four hours, discard them. Also discard any salads or food items prepared with these ingredients that have been held at or above 50°F for more than four hours.
- If food in a freezer still contains ice crystals or is at 40°F or below, then the food is safe to cook and eat or refreeze.
- If power has been out for more than 48 hours, food stored in a freezer should be discarded.
Consumers with questions are encouraged to call the following food safety hotlines:
- FDA's Safe Food Information Line: (888) 723-3366
- USDA Meat & Poultry Hotline: (800) 535-4555
About Giant Food of Landover, Md.
Giant Food LLC, headquartered in Landover, Md., operates 173 supermarkets in Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, and the District of Columbia, and employs approximately 22,000 associates. Included within the 173 stores are 159 full-service pharmacies. Giant is owned by Ahold USA, Inc. For more information on Giant, visit www.GiantFood.com.