5 Healthy Tips:
Sip a secret ingredient smoothie!
Add kale or spinach to a fruit smoothie for a nutrient boost you won't even be able to taste. Call it a "Dinosaur Shake" or "Swamp Monster" for the kids!
Put healthier options within easy reach!
Create a grab-and-go bin of healthier breakfast bar options. That way when the urge for a snack hits before or after school or work, it will be extra-easy to make the better-for-you choice.
Use these USDA choice tips!
Did you know that the United States Department of Agriculture recently introduced MyPlate guidelines to help you build a healthier meal? Before you eat or prepare meals, think about what goes on your plate, or in your cup, bowl or lunchbox and try some of these options:
- Make half your plate fruits & vegetables
- Switch to skim or 1% milk
- Make at least half your grains whole
- Vary your protein food choices
For more information, click here.
Do a balancing act with your brown bag!
The new MyPlate guidelines from the USDA provide a new way of looking at a balanced, healthy meal. But how does that translate when there's no plate in sight? It's easy to pack a homemade lunch that meets the USDA's recommendations for healthy eating! Try some of these suggestions:
- Flip your sandwich! Rethink the standard sandwich by turning it upside-down! Most sandwiches boast large portions of meat and cheese, garnished with a scant few vegetables. Flip that way of thinking by stuffing your sandwich with a variety of fresh fruits and veggies. (Think spinach, cucumber, apple slices, raisins, sprouts and more.) Keep the rest of your "plate" in proportion by adding 2 ounces of lean meat (or other protein) and 1 ounce of sliced cheese. Skip the mayo and add zesty flavor with spicy mustard, hummus, guacamole or low-fat salad dressing.
- Soup it up! A can of soup is a quick and easy go-to lunch for many, but alone it can lack balance. Choose a low-sodium variety, and maximize nutritional value by adding extra beans and a cup of frozen vegetables. Sprinkle with grated cheese and toast a 100% whole wheat roll for dunking.
- Get on a roll! Spread a whole wheat tortilla with protein-rich nut butter, top with fresh strawberry slices and roll it up. Add low-fat yogurt, cherry tomatoes and bell pepper slices on the side and you've got a balanced meal kids will love!
Give your kids a Passport to Nutrition!
Passport to Nutrition is an online educational program for kids brought to you exclusively by Giant. It's a fun and interactive site with songs, games and videos, all geared to help kids learn to eat and maintain a healthier lifestyle. Click here to check it out!